Happy World Oceans Day! The oceans are at the center of our mission and everything we do at 12 Tides, so get out there and celebrate!
1. Go out and enjoy the ocean! Our oceans offer an abundance of fun activities like swimming, surfing, kayaking, and so much more.
Image Source: Lonely Planet
2. Attend a beach or river clean up. Plastic pollution is one of the largest threats to our oceans and these cleanups go a long way in ensuring less plastic ends up in the ocean.
Image Source: 4ocean
3. Make a plastic free swap. If you can't attend a beach cleanup this is another great way to reduce plastic pollution.
Image Source: Eco Warrior Princess
4. Learn more about the issues facing our oceans. Podcasts and documentaries are a great way to do this. You can check out a list of sustainability podcasts here and you can find a list of ocean documentaries here.
Image Source: Washington Post
5. Commit to eating only sustainably raised and caught seafood. Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Seafood Watch is a great resource for this.
Image Source: Backyard Zoologist
6. Donate to an ocean conservation charity. 12 Tides is partnered with the organization SeaTrees which works on restoring marine ecosystems around the world. A link to donate can be found here.
Image Source: SeaTrees
About the Author: Emma Gamble is a junior at the George Washington University majoring in Environmental Studies and minoring in public policy. Emma is passionate about incorporating greater sustainability into our food systems in order to create a greener future for people and the planet. Emma enjoys sailing, kayaking, and paddle boarding.
Title Image Source: United Nations