Turn your popcorn into something extraordinary with this quick and easy dish. It is the perfect snack to help you power through the workday or try making it for your next movie night. Furikake is a Japanese blend of flavorful ingredients usually containing sesame seeds, seaweed, and chili- all of which are included in this recipe!
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
Popcorn kernels 2/3 cup
Coconut oil 2 Tbsp + 3 Tbsp
Nutritional yeast 1/4 cup
Smoked paprika 2 tsp
Dulse flakes 1 Tbsp
Sesame seeds 1/2 cup (optional)
Sea salt 1/2 tsp
Lemon juice 2 Tbsp
12 Tides Sea Salt or Chili
1. Warm the first 2 tablespoons of coconut oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat.
2. While the oil is heating, mix together the nutritional yeast, smoked paprika, dulse flakes, sesame seeds, and sea salt together in a small bowl and set aside.
3. After about 1-2 minutes, add 4 test kernels to the warmed oil. When the kernels pop, add the remaining kernels to the pot and immediately cover with a lid. Shake the pot vigorously every 30 seconds or so, and continue to cook until 2-3 seconds pass between each pop.
4. Remove the popcorn from the pot and set aside in a large bowl.
5. Make sure there are no particles remaining in the pot and then melt 3 additional tablespoons of coconut oil over medium heat in the same pot you used for the popcorn.
6. Add the mixture from the small bowl into the pot and stir constantly for about 5 minutes or until the sesame seeds smell toasty.
7. Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the lemon juice. Pour the mixture from the pot over the popcorn in the bowl and stir to evenly coat the popcorn.
8. Mix in about 15 of your sea salt or chili flavored 12 Tides seaweed snacks. Alternatively, use the snacks as edible scoops for your furikake popcorn.